Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Stefan Werner-2
Apple is deprecating OpenGL and OpenCL and asks developers to use Metal instead.
Does anyone have a couple of months to spare to port Eevee and Cycles?

https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/#deprecationofopenglandopencl

-Stefan

Re: Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Ton Roosendaal
Hi,

I'm afraid a Metal port is going to be more than a couple of months... but the benefit of open source has always been that you get surprising ports to happen!

My suggestion: let's wait a bit how the market responds and study on solutions. We're not alone in this.

My opinion: MacOS has not been a good choice for 3D artists for at least 5 years already. Artists didn't have choice of GPUs. Support for CUDA, OpenGL and OpenCL was always behind. We never really had Cycles GPU render perform good on a Mac system either.

Looks like Apple is heading in a different direction with their OS. Probably merging it with iOS...

Meanwhile we can keep supporting it, but this support will then be for a dying platform - like back then for SGI Irix, Sun Solaris and BeOS.

Laters,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  -  [hidden email]   -   www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands

> On 5 Jun 2018, at 10:14, Stefan Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apple is deprecating OpenGL and OpenCL and asks developers to use Metal instead.
> Does anyone have a couple of months to spare to port Eevee and Cycles?
>
> https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/#deprecationofopenglandopencl
>
> -Stefan

Re: Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Stefan Werner-2

> On 5. Jun 2018, at 11:01, Ton Roosendaal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm afraid a Metal port is going to be more than a couple of months... but the benefit of open source has always been that you get surprising ports to happen!

Odds are that someone, somewhere is using Blender to build their iOS games and has both the experience and the need to port Blender to Metal. I’m keeping my fingers crossed...

> My opinion: MacOS has not been a good choice for 3D artists for at least 5 years already. Artists didn't have choice of GPUs. Support for CUDA, OpenGL and OpenCL was always behind. We never really had Cycles GPU render perform good on a Mac system either.

Out of the three, CUDA was the one in best shape, because it didn’t rely on Apple.

> Looks like Apple is heading in a different direction with their OS. Probably merging it with iOS…

We could port Blender to the iPad Pro, once we find out where tablets have their right mouse button. ;)

> Meanwhile we can keep supporting it, but this support will then be for a dying platform - like back then for SGI Irix, Sun Solaris and BeOS.

Hey! In contrast to macOS, there is at least active development for OpenGL on Haiku (= OpenBeOS)!

-Stefan

Re: Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Simon Ge
It would be more useful to port Blender to Vulkan instead, because we can run Vulkan on Metal via https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK