GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

Natalevich Mikhail
Good morning.

Thanks to LetterRip for providing useful papers. I would lke to know more
about Cycles motion blur to be able to work on it, so have a few questions:

1. What algorithm is used in Cycles for motion blur now?
2. Is it good enough to use the algorithm decsribed in the paper (link on
jcgt.org <http://jcgt.org/published/0003/01/02/paper.pdf>) for the
improvement of Blender?
3. Do you know even better algorithms? (I will, of course, examine this
topic comprehensively later, but there's not enough time before the
deadline)

Thank you in advance,
Michael Natalevich

Re: GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

Sergey Sharybin
Hi,

1. Guess the technique is called Sampled motion blur, combined with the
importance sample over the camera shutter time.
2. I do not see how those algorithms are connected to motion blur and also
not clear which exact algorithm you're referring to. Is it a generic
quesiton or you see how this is applicable for motion blur?
3. I'm not aware of algorithms which could improve motion blur in Cycles,
but there are lots of rather technical tricks you can do to reduce render
time and motion blur looking better:

- Some adaptive criteria for motion blur steps, so we don't do steps in BVH
for cases when something barely moves
- Use traverse-time interpolation of motion BVH nodes (or at least
investigate whether this gives and improvements)
- Support multi-step object motion blur
- Support curved/scale motion blur

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Natalevich Mikhail <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> Thanks to LetterRip for providing useful papers. I would lke to know more
> about Cycles motion blur to be able to work on it, so have a few questions:
>
> 1. What algorithm is used in Cycles for motion blur now?
> 2. Is it good enough to use the algorithm decsribed in the paper (link on
> jcgt.org <http://jcgt.org/published/0003/01/02/paper.pdf>) for the
> improvement of Blender?
> 3. Do you know even better algorithms? (I will, of course, examine this
> topic comprehensively later, but there's not enough time before the
> deadline)
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Michael Natalevich

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Re: GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

Sergey Sharybin
Hi again, and sorry for the spam.

Totally forgot about one more moblur-related project: moblur support for
volumetric data (smoke, fire, clouds, tornadoes..)

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Re: GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

Tom Musgrove-2
My apologies that was a copy and paste error regarding that paper - that
wasn't the link I meant to provide, deeply apologize for the error and
confusion.

Tom M.
LetterRip

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Sergey Sharybin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Guess the technique is called Sampled motion blur, combined with the
> importance sample over the camera shutter time.
> 2. I do not see how those algorithms are connected to motion blur and also
> not clear which exact algorithm you're referring to. Is it a generic
> quesiton or you see how this is applicable for motion blur?
> 3. I'm not aware of algorithms which could improve motion blur in Cycles,
> but there are lots of rather technical tricks you can do to reduce render
> time and motion blur looking better:
>
> - Some adaptive criteria for motion blur steps, so we don't do steps in BVH
> for cases when something barely moves
> - Use traverse-time interpolation of motion BVH nodes (or at least
> investigate whether this gives and improvements)
> - Support multi-step object motion blur
> - Support curved/scale motion blur
>
> On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Natalevich Mikhail <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Good morning.
> >
> > Thanks to LetterRip for providing useful papers. I would lke to know more
> > about Cycles motion blur to be able to work on it, so have a few
> questions:
> >
> > 1. What algorithm is used in Cycles for motion blur now?
> > 2. Is it good enough to use the algorithm decsribed in the paper (link on
> > jcgt.org <http://jcgt.org/published/0003/01/02/paper.pdf>) for the
> > improvement of Blender?
> > 3. Do you know even better algorithms? (I will, of course, examine this
> > topic comprehensively later, but there's not enough time before the
> > deadline)
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Michael Natalevich

> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Re: GSoC 2017 - Cycles Motion Blur Improvements

Stefan Werner-2
His paper could also be of interest:
http://gruenschloss.org/msbvh/msbvh.pdf

-Stefan