GSoC project: Implicit skinning

Natalevich Mikhail
Good evening, Blender community.

I have some questions regarding the project idea you proposed to me today
(implicit skinning method):
1. How can it be integrated on the user-level? I can only see it as a
choice button, which method to use (or no button at all, only one method
available).
2. Who could be my potential mentor? Maybe we should discuss with him other
questions?
3. Here is my proposal draft, I would appreciate all advice and
improvements (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pFg3cJGdafpA_qB68cAy9kMivfrAESq6rrb8k54DNMI/edit?usp=sharing),
especially on schedule part.

Thank you in advance,
Michael Natalevich.

Re: GSoC project: Implicit skinning

Tom Musgrove-2
If there isn't a major performance hit and the new behaviour is always
preferable, it can just replace the dual quaternion skinning completely or
there could be a menu to select between the two.  Otherwise as far as I'm
aware there isn't any need for interface code beyond what is already
provided for dual quaternion skinning.

Potential mentors there are probably a couple of people who could mentor it
(Sergey, Ton, Bastien, etc.) unfortunately with so little time left before
proposals are due your best bet is likely to hang out on irc and see if any
of them are available to chat.

Tom M.
LetterRip

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Natalevich Mikhail <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good evening, Blender community.
>
> I have some questions regarding the project idea you proposed to me today
> (implicit skinning method):
> 1. How can it be integrated on the user-level? I can only see it as a
> choice button, which method to use (or no button at all, only one method
> available).
> 2. Who could be my potential mentor? Maybe we should discuss with him other
> questions?
> 3. Here is my proposal draft, I would appreciate all advice and
> improvements (
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pFg3cJGdafpA_
> qB68cAy9kMivfrAESq6rrb8k54DNMI/edit?usp=sharing),
> especially on schedule part.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Michael Natalevich.

Re: GSoC project: Implicit skinning

Ton Roosendaal

I was the one mentioning it yesterday. I know there was and is not much time left, but the proposal is a bit shallow.

It would be more convincing if you could provide references (similar work you did before) and provide us with insight in the matter (to show you actually have read and understand the paper).

Proposal deadline is in 3 hours, you can also just reply to this mail.

Thanks,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  -  [hidden email]   -   www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands

> On 03 Apr 2017, at 00:58, Natalevich Mikhail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good evening, Blender community.
>
> I have some questions regarding the project idea you proposed to me today
> (implicit skinning method):
> 1. How can it be integrated on the user-level? I can only see it as a
> choice button, which method to use (or no button at all, only one method
> available).
> 2. Who could be my potential mentor? Maybe we should discuss with him other
> questions?
> 3. Here is my proposal draft, I would appreciate all advice and
> improvements (
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pFg3cJGdafpA_qB68cAy9kMivfrAESq6rrb8k54DNMI/edit?usp=sharing),
> especially on schedule part.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Michael Natalevich.

Re: GSoC project: Implicit skinning

Natalevich Mikhail
Good evening.

This month I've been studying various theory one need to know to accomplish
the project. But I received an internship offer, so there won't be enough
time for me to work on the project. Anyway, the idea of implicit skinning
remains really interesting and I look forward to dealing with it not under
terms of GSoC, but as a usual blender contributor.

Thank you,
Michael Natalevich